[Classweb-users] Help with a Chinese literature translation -- PL2919

Fox, Chris CFox at byui.edu
Tue Jul 29 13:45:43 EDT 2014

Sorry to jump into this so late, but what, then, would be the correct construction of this call number, and why?  Doug's question happens to come right at a time when I am struggling to figure out the P schedules in general, and call numbers in particular.  For example, John Steinbeck isn't specifically listed in the PS schedules, but his authority record says the number established for him is PS3537.T3234.  Fine.  But what specifically instructs me to use Table P-PZ40 besides the fact that all the other authors listed in that part of the schedule instruct the user to use that table?  And once I go to that table, where are the instructions which tell me how to use it?  And how to construct the cutter numbers?

I just realized (and am so very embarrassed to admit) that after 18 years as a professional, MLS cataloger, I basically have no idea how to construct a call number, not just in the Ps, but in just about any schedule.  Cuttering (not using a cutter table, but adjusting the cutter to fit a shelflist) is a major vexation.  I have several books on subject and classification work (including a couple by Lois Mai Chan, but they don't have the basic detail my simple brain seems to need.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me of webinars, web resources, books, or really basic, introductory training materials that could help me, and help me train others?  I need a "back-to-school" type approach, I guess.

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher N. Fox | Catalog Librarian | David O. McKay Library, Brigham Young University Idaho | 525 S. Center St. - 0405,
Rexburg, ID 83460-0405 | Tel: (208) 496-9525 | Email: cfox at byui.edu