[Classweb-users] Library users looking up name of LC codes

Pietris, Mary Kay mpie at loc.gov
Mon Feb 25 06:52:31 EST 2013

Since the LC classification system is available in paper and through Classification Web, these seem to me to be the only way to search to for the meaning of a number.  However, a user could always look at the bibliographic record for the book and inspect the subject headings, the first of which should bear some relation to the class number.

In addition to the schedules themselves, the Library publishes three paper products which lay out the classification schedules in more or less detail.  There are:

LC Classification Outline  (the most detailed)
LC Classification Poster	(class letters only)
LC Classification Quick Reference Guide  (class letters only)

These are available for purchase in bulk, and provide a handy way to see what the class letters mean.

See the CDS website for information, specifically  http://www.loc.gov/cds/products/lcClass.php

Mary K. D. Pietris
Library of Congress
Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate
Policy and Standards Division