[Classweb-users] Library users looking up name of LC codes

Mark Weiler mweiler at alumni.sfu.ca
Fri Feb 22 21:58:59 EST 2013

While working a reference desk a student asked me if we had a "Sympathy" section in our library. The only way I could show the student how to do this on the OPAC was to trace a candidate book to find it's call number.

This prompted to me think: Is there any way a library user could search the LC classification system to find out what sections are about a particular topic? Classification Web can do this, but library users don't have access to it.  Related to this, given a book's call number, how could a library user determine the name of the section the book is in?

mark