[Classweb-users] Question concerning classification of a serial title change

Weiss, Paul pwei at loc.gov
Mon Nov 22 14:49:40 EST 2010

This is entirely a matter of judgment.  At the Library of Congress, we consider it important to keep the entire run of a serial together, whenever that is possible.  We also try to avoid, whenever possible, the expense of reclassifying and relabeling a previously cataloged serial title.  So as a result we are generally very conservative about choosing a new classification number for the continuation of a previously classified serial.  In this case, we would most likely regard NC998.6.G7 as an "acceptable" number even though the focus of the serial is now broader than just Great Britain.

Paul Weiss
Library of Congress
Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate
Policy and Standards Division