[Classweb-users] Question concerning classification of a serial title change

Michael.Borries at mail.cuny.edu Michael.Borries at mail.cuny.edu
Mon Nov 22 13:48:13 EST 2010

Since I rarely handle serials, I would like a confirmation on my
understanding of the provisions of CSM.

I have on my desk D&AD.  Previous title, D&AD annual, which LC classes at
NC998.6.G7 D47.  This classification is for British commercial art.
However, D&AD has the subtitle "The best advertising and design in the
world," and the contents show that this title no longer covers only
Britain.

CSM says "If the serial is linked to a previously cataloged serial and the
numbering continues, assign the same call number that was assigned to the
previously cataloged serial provided that the class number is acceptable."
 Am I correct in thinking that in this case the class number would no
longer be considered acceptable, since the scope had changed?

Michael S. Borries
CUNY Central Cataloging
151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY  10010