[Classweb-users] Change in Classification number QC981.8.C5

john g marr jmarr at unm.edu
Fri Jan 15 17:08:36 EST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Stanley Elswick wrote:

> I agree that "Climatic changes" should not have moved to
> QC902.8-QC903.4.  "Climatic changes" encompasses much more than just
> temperature changes, so it should not be assigned to that more narrow
> location.  I think LC made an error here and should correct it.

Hi Stanley:

  Planning to drop a suggestion ("from the horse's mouth", obviously) on LC
(I hope)?  I agree (I think, but that would mean that I could no longer
conscientously worship LC).

  Perhaps LC did not consider "Climatic changes" to be appropiately placed
under "composite generalization of weather [!] conditions of specific
geographic areas during a specific period of time with reference to
average conditions and their variability."

  It is helpful to have a specific set of numbers for "local" under
QC903.2, however.

  Then what about "Global warming"?  That too could be considered a
temperature issue, perhaps as a separate subset under "Atmospheric
temperature", or relatively synonymous with "greenhouse effect" (presently
at QC912.3).  Speak, Oh NOAA, for thou art the presumed expert on such
matters (for those that presume such things ...)!

Love that semantics, especially when such terms as these have changing
definitions over time and do not seem to be subject to universal agreement
and/or application.

Cheers!

jgm

                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             CDS, UL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131
                                             jmarr at unm.edu
                                             jmarr at flash.net

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.