[Classweb-users] illogical linking of call numbers on "LC Class/Subject Correlations Search: All Records" page

rups.mario at gmail.com rups.mario at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 12:52:01 EST 2010

When I click on the "S" of the [H R B L D S] in a hierarchy view of
call numbers, I get to a "LC Class/Subject Correlations Search: All
Records" page showing call numbers with associated subject headings,
as expected.  *However*: when I click on the call number on that
results page, I'm linked to another "LC Class/Subject Correlations
Search: All Records" page with a list of subject headings beginning
with the same call number letter but otherwise unrelated to it.  A
spot-check suggests this is happening with *all* LC call numbers.

E.g.:

1) On hierarchy view page:
     Q101  [Science] Congresses   [H R B L D S]

2) Click on [S] and get LC Class/Subject Correlations Search: All Records page:
     Q101   [B L D C]
         Science--Congresses.

3) A click on Q101 then yields LC Class/Subject Correlations Search:
All Records page:
     Q??al-R?m (Lebanon)--History.   [L D]
     Qaanaaq (Greenland)--Climate.   [L D]

This simply does not seem logical.  I can't remember seeing this
behaviour before, but alas cannot recall what the call number links
*used* to point to ... I would have thought back to the hierarchy
view, vel sim.

Mario Rups
Cataloging Services
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
PO Box 37012
Natural History Building, Room 30- MRC 0154
Washington, DC 20013-7012