[Classweb-users] Cuters in ClassWeb and LC sl. conflict

Paul G Weiss pwei at loc.gov
Mon Feb 2 16:24:14 EST 2009

The two records that are in the LC shelflist are old records that were shelflisted prior to the time that Table P-PZ31 was used with Byron.  The Cutters that appear in Class Web are the correct current Cutters and would be used for classifying any new material.

Paul Weiss
Library of Congress
Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate
Policy and Standards Division

>>> john g marr <jmarr at unm.edu> 2/2/2009 3:45:37 PM >>>

  Some subject cutters presented in ClassificationWeb under PR4392 [English
literature--19th century, 1770/1800-1890/1900--Individual authors--Byron,
George Gordon--Criticism and interpretation--Treatment and knowledge of
special subjects, A-Z--] conflict with LCs shelflist and I am wondering
which are correct. Examples:

CW-- PR4392.L48 = Liberty
SL-- PR4392.L5  = title "Byron and liberty"

CW-- PR4392.L5  = Literature
SL-- PR4392.L56 = title "German literary influence on Byron"

Thank you!
                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             CDS, UL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131
                                             jmarr at unm.edu
                                             jmarr at flash.net

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**
                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.