[Classweb-users] Misspellings of Agriculture-- a strange harvest

Kappmeyer, Lori O [LIB] losmus at iastate.edu
Tue Sep 30 17:35:51 EDT 2008

Hi, I just joined the ClassWeb list because I have a question about
something one of the catalogers here noticed in ClassWeb.  Perhaps there
is nothing noteworthy here, but the cataloger typed in a misspelling of
"Agricultural" as "Agricltural" in an LC Class/Subject Correlations
Search, and retrieved a whole list of similarly misspelled terms, like:

*Agricltural colonies

*Agricullture and state

*Agricultire

*Agricultre

*Agricultrual education

When we stopped laughing , we wondered if we should do anything about
what we found.   Since the subject correlations are linking to the LC
bibliographic records, then I suppose these misspellings exist in LC
records.  Is anyone interested in having such things reported, and if
so, how would we do that?  Or should we just ignore this?  We know that
our catalog isn't perfect either!

Lori Osmus Kappmeyer

Head, Cataloging & Metadata Department

204 Parks Library