[Classweb-users] Misspellings of Agriculture-- a strange harvest

Paul G Weiss pwei at loc.gov
Wed Oct 1 09:53:11 EDT 2008

The correlations feature in Class Web is based on subject headings and class numbers as they actually appear in LC bibliographic records.  The typos that you point out have just been corrected in the bibliographic records.  The correlations database in Class Web is updated weekly.  Once the next update has occurred, these typos will disappear from Class Web.  Thanks for reporting this.

Paul Weiss
Policy and Standards Division
Library of Congress

>>> "Kappmeyer, Lori O [LIB]" <losmus at iastate.edu> 9/30/2008 5:35 PM >>>
Hi, I just joined the ClassWeb list because I have a question about
something one of the catalogers here noticed in ClassWeb.  Perhaps there
is nothing noteworthy here, but the cataloger typed in a misspelling of
"Agricultural" as "Agricltural" in an LC Class/Subject Correlations
Search, and retrieved a whole list of similarly misspelled terms, like:

*Agricltural colonies

*Agricullture and state

*Agricultire

*Agricultre

*Agricultrual education

When we stopped laughing , we wondered if we should do anything about
what we found.   Since the subject correlations are linking to the LC
bibliographic records, then I suppose these misspellings exist in LC
records.  Is anyone interested in having such things reported, and if
so, how would we do that?  Or should we just ignore this?  We know that
our catalog isn't perfect either!

Lori Osmus Kappmeyer

Head, Cataloging & Metadata Department

204 Parks Library