[Classweb-users] "Tenebreuse Affaire" by Balzac

Milicent K Wewerka mwew at loc.gov
Thu Feb 15 10:35:11 EST 2007

The correct call number will begin with PQ2173.T...   The Cutter number is still based on the title.  See as an example, the titles given under PQ2175, where each title has a Cutter number based on the initial letter of the title.

Milicent Wewerka
Cataloging Policy and Support Office
Library of Congress

>>> "Sevim McCutcheon" <lmccutch at kent.edu> 02/15/07 9:44 AM >>>
Is it correct that a full call number for an English translation of Balzac's Tenebreuse Affaire is:

PQ2173.S95 E6 1985  or thereabouts?

It just seems so odd that a title starting with T would have a corresponding cutter that starts with S.

I'm trying to determine the correct classification for an English translation of Honore de Balzac's novel, "Une Tenebreuse Affaire" (often translated as A Murky Business, or as Gondreville Mystery).

PQ2173 is in Classweb as the number for Balzac's separate works, S-TH.
      PQ2175 is for his works, Th - Z

In order to get this work to sit on the shelf after Sur Catherine de Medicis (PQ2173.S9-.S93)
I need to cutter with something later than .S93, such as .S95

So a call number for the work in the original language could be:

PQ2173.S95

Then, going to Table P-PZ43a as other titles listed in this part of the schedules instruct,
I see that the 2nd cutter for translations in other languages is in the range of A4-.Z
Since the work in hand is English, a second cutter could be E6

I'd appreciate feedback/correction.

Sevim McCutcheon
Monographs Cataloger
Libraries and Media Services