[Classweb-users] "Tenebreuse Affaire" by Balzac

Sevim McCutcheon lmccutch at kent.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:44:05 EST 2007

Is it correct that a full call number for an English translation of Balzac's Tenebreuse Affaire is:

PQ2173.S95 E6 1985  or thereabouts?

It just seems so odd that a title starting with T would have a corresponding cutter that starts with S.

I'm trying to determine the correct classification for an English translation of Honore de Balzac's novel, "Une Tenebreuse Affaire" (often translated as A Murky Business, or as Gondreville Mystery).

PQ2173 is in Classweb as the number for Balzac's separate works, S-TH.
      PQ2175 is for his works, Th - Z

In order to get this work to sit on the shelf after Sur Catherine de Medicis (PQ2173.S9-.S93)
I need to cutter with something later than .S93, such as .S95

So a call number for the work in the original language could be:

PQ2173.S95

Then, going to Table P-PZ43a as other titles listed in this part of the schedules instruct,
I see that the 2nd cutter for translations in other languages is in the range of A4-.Z
Since the work in hand is English, a second cutter could be E6

I'd appreciate feedback/correction.

Sevim McCutcheon
Monographs Cataloger
Libraries and Media Services