Having your OPAC listed as a pre-set choice for links from Class Web

Cheryl Calista Cook ccoo at LOC.GOV
Tue Aug 28 09:33:18 EDT 2001

Testers,

As we wind up the Classification Web pilot and move into the final
phases of developing the production product, some decisions need to be
made concerning Pilot features.

During the pilot test several institutions such as the  Bowling Green
State, University of Nevada, and Syracuse agreed to have their OPACS
listed as  pre-set choices for linked OPACs.  The production product
will offer an input form for users to link their own OPACS, but, for
those who are interested, CDS can also create some pre-set choices.

Would you like to have your OPAC as a pre-set choice?  In order to
link to Class Web, your OPAC must have a Web interface that can search
by  LC classification and have that search displayed in your browser
"Location" box.   From the Pilot we know that both Innovative
Interfaces and Voyager systems can be successfully linked and there
should be others.

The advantage to you in having your site pre-set is that you would
not need to go through the effort of setting up your own site
yourself, while those who do not wish to include your site in their
search simply do not need to check that option.

I would appreciate your interest and feedback concerning this
feature.

Cheryl C. Cook
Cataloging Distribution Service