[Classweb-users] Fwd: Garbled text in Correlations, L901

Lisa Hatt hattlisa at fhda.edu
Thu Sep 26 14:40:07 EDT 2019

  From: Ryan Tamares
> <rtamares at law.stanford.edu> Date: Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM
> Subject: Garbled text in Correlations, L901 To: classweb-users
> <classweb-users at classificationweb.net>
>

> When using Correlations for LC class L901, this garbled text shows up
> as one of the results:
>
> In case the screenshot above does not go through the list email, the
> text displays as: L901 &#x2021;b.A546

It's not garbled exactly; it's an HTML entity for the double dagger ‡.
In the page source code the ampersand in that string is itself
represented by the HTML entity & , rather than being the actual
ampersand character, so "&#x2021;" is being displayed literally rather
than converted to the double dagger. In other words this string ought to
look like L901 ‡b.A546 - which is normal enough in some contexts but not
here. I suspect maybe a copy-paste from somewhere that had subfields and
delimiters and a failure to clean it up.

--
Lisa Hatt
Cataloging | De Anza College Library