[Classweb-users] Heading - Geographic Subdivision in Classweb

Robboy, William wrobboy at loc.gov
Mon Mar 12 08:53:37 EDT 2018

Dear Marcelo,

In most cases, geographic names or subjects established as 151 can also be used as geographic subdivisions and are not separately established as 181.  There are rare cases of free-floating geographic subdivisions that are not also geographic headings (such as the subdivision --Foreign countries).  You can search these in ClassWeb via a general search for free-floating subdivisions.  From the main menu, choose Search LC Subject Headings.  Then enter your search in the field for Free-floating subdivision.

Does this answer your question?

This is not an official communication of the Library of Congress.

William L. Robboy, Librarian
Mexico, Central America & Caribbean Section
Acquisitions & Bibliographic Access Directorate
Library of Congress
wrobboy at loc.gov
202 707-3329