[Classweb-users] "Minor collections"

Casey A Mullin cmullin at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 20 16:29:30 EST 2011

Hello, CW,

A few colleagues and I are puzzled at the ambiguity of this caption.
This caption appears in the schedules about 2 dozen or so times,
predominantly in the D and P areas. It almost always appears below a
"Sources and documents" number. My question is: what constitutes
"minor"? Single-volume collections as opposed to multi-volume sets? Or,
does it mean minor in scope, or even minor in significance to the topic
(which is a value judgment I as a cataloger I would be loath to make)?
In one case (PN6112), the number immediately above has the caption
"Comprehensive collections"; the meaning is clear in this context, but
this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Thank you,
Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian
cmullin at stanford.edu
http://www.caseymullin.com

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee