[Classweb-users] PR5108.A5-Z vs. PR5109

Casey A Mullin cmullin at stanford.edu
Fri May 14 18:21:28 EDT 2010

Hello,

There appears to be an ambiguous overlap between these two numbers.
Compare the captions:

PR5108.A5-Z   English literature--19th century,
1770/1800-1890/1900--Individual authors--Newman, John Henry,
Cardinal--Biography, criticism, etc.--General works
PR5109            English literature--19th century,
1770/1800-1890/1900--Individual authors--Newman, John Henry,
Cardinal--Criticism

I have a work of pure criticism, and I'm having a hard time seeing the
difference between these numbers. To complicate matters, Newman is also
established as a printed cutter under BX4705.N5. It seems that
biographies are being classed there. PR5108.A5-Z has not been used by LC
for a critical work, whereas PR5109 has, so I'm opting for the latter.
But should this ambiguity be corrected in the schedule?

Thanks,
Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian
cmullin at stanford.edu
http://www.caseymullin.com

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee