[Classweb-users] DH801

Casey A Mullin cmullin at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 1 17:58:55 EDT 2010

Caption: History of Belgium--Local history and description--Provinces,
regions, etc., A-Z

Dear all,

Currently there is no number established for "Wallonia", though LC has
used .W25 dozens of times. There is no "e.g.", so I would be glad to
make a proposal for my work in hand. However, I notice that Flanders has
an extensive span of numbers, with the usual breakdown of subtopics. I
wonder if LC might opt to establish a similar range for Wallonia, or
leave it at one cutter (.W25).

Interesting to note that there is a number for Walloons (DH492.W3),
under "Ethnography--Individual elements in the population." Some works
on Wallonia seem to have been classed here, but the conflation of
ethnographic works with historical works on a geographic area (that
happens to consist mostly of said ethnic group) gives me pause. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian
cmullin at stanford.edu
http://www.caseymullin.com

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee