[Classweb-users] Establishing philosophers in the B schedule

Paul G Weiss pwei at loc.gov
Thu Sep 17 08:27:52 EDT 2009

The current practice at the Library of Congress is to establish alll philosophers in the B schedule, except those in countries where the "Individual philosophers" number is derived from a table and is not included in the schedule itself, such as B4751-4755, Ukraine.

Since our previous practice did not require establishing numbers in the schedule, many philosophers are represented in the LC shelflist who are not yet established in the B schedule.

We encourage SACO institutions to submit proposals to establish philosophers who are not yet in the B schedule.

Paul Weiss
Library of Congress
Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate
Policy and Standards Division

>>> Casey A Mullin <cmullin at stanford.edu> 9/16/2009 4:36 PM >>>
I have occasion to use an unestablished cutter in the B schedule for a
living French philosopher, and am unsure whether this cutter (or rather,
a range of cutters subject to table B-BJ15) needs to be proposed via
standard procedure.

According to PCC [1], cutter numbers for "authors, musicians, and
artists" need not be established or proposed for use in BIBCO records,
so long as they conform to LC's shelflist. Philosophers are not included
in this list, though they are effectively "authors" in a sense. On the
other hand, my perusal of LCs shelflist shows many cases of cutters used
in B call numbers which are not established in the schedule.
Additionally, I found one PCC record [2] for a book about my same
philosopher which uses an unestablished cutter.

So, my questions to the collective wisdom are twofold:
1) Are philosophers covered by the classification FAQ provision cited above?
2) What is the precedent for cases like this? Has anyone out there made
such a proposal, and what were the circumstances of your decision to do so?

Thank you,
Casey

[1] http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/classfaq.html#11
[2] OCLC #52265975