[Classweb-users] BP170.5

Casey A Mullin cmullin at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 21 18:29:06 EDT 2009

Caption: Islam. Bahai Faith. Theosophy, etc.--Islam--Missionary work of
Islam--Converts to Islam
    Collective
    Individual, A-Z

Is this to be treated as a biography number, per G320? LC has applied
the biography table in at least three cases within the last 10 years;
this cannot be done unless the number is deemed to be a bona fide
"biography" number. And, the decision whether or not to apply the
biography table affects whether or not to apply the translation table
(my work in hand is a diary).

Based on the nature of the works classed here, I'd concur with the
decision to apply the biography table (liberally, as it were). Can
anyone corroborate (or refute) this? Perhaps the caption can be amended
to address this ambiguity.

Thanks,
Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian
cmullin at stanford.edu
http://www.caseymullin.com

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee