[Classweb-users] problem with geographic cutters in search

Paul G Weiss pwei at loc.gov
Wed Dec 19 15:52:26 EST 2007

We expect that this issue will be corrected with a software adjustment that will be installed overnight.

Paul Weiss
Cataloging Policy and Support Office
Library of Congress

>>> Cynthia Lange <cgl2 at cornell.edu> 12/19/07 12:53 PM >>>
Is Classweb having problems with the geographic and topical cutters in the
Hierarchy Classification Browser? When I search for a class number
involving a specific geographic cutter, the result now takes me to the
general classification, A-Z.

For example, when I try searching with G1403 D25  (Atlases. By region ...
Indiana. Counties, A-Z. De Kalb), the browser takes me to Indiana.
Counties, A-Z, rather than to the specific county (De Kalb).

Even more puzzling and frustrating have been the problems with topical
cutter searches. One of my colleagues encountered several examples today
while using the K and N schedules. She searched under KPV78 B, expecting
the search to result in KPV78 B87 (Asia (South Asia. Southeast Asia. East
Asia): Vietnam--Manuals and other works for particular groups of users. By
user, A-Z. Businesspeople). Instead it pulled up KPV0-4999 (Asia (South
Asia. Southeast Asia. East Asia): Vietnam--General.

Many thanks.

Cynthia Lange

Cataloger
Library Technical Services