[Classweb-users] Question about Law class numbers

Paul G Weiss pwei at loc.gov
Wed Aug 29 10:52:19 EDT 2007

Here's the explanation, as it appears in the prefaces of recent printed
editions of the classification schedules (also available in Cataloger's
Desktop):

"Classification numbers or spans of numbers that appear in parentheses
are formerly valid numbers that are now obsolete. Numbers or spans that
appear in angle brackets are optional numbers that have never been used
at the Library of Congress but are provided for other libraries that
wish to use them. In most cases, a parenthesized or angle-bracketed
number is accompanied by a "see" reference directing the user to the
actual number that the Library of Congress currently uses, or a note
explaining Library of Congress practice."

Paul Weiss
Cataloging Policy and Support Office
Library of Congress

>>> "Nathalie Ebacher" <nathalie.ebacher at usherbrooke.ca> 08/27/07 10:40
AM >>>
Good morning,

I would like to know the meaning of a class number appearing with < >
(chevron?)

>From what I*ve seen, it looks like we either can use the class
number or we
can*t (see examples below).  Can you explain to me the exact meaning?
 Thank
you.

Examples :

<KEQ18-41>

Legislative documents

Including pre-Confederation publications

see J100, (Lower Canada); J107 (Quebec)

vs

<KEQ21-28>

Legislative Council Table KE13

Nathalie

Nathalie Ebacher

Bibliothécaire

Services techniques, Traitement documentaire

Service des bibliothèques, Université de Sherbrooke

Sherbrooke (Québec) J1K  2R1 Canada

nathalie.ebacher at usherbrooke.ca

(819) 821-8000, poste 63447

(819) 821-7935 (télécopieur)

www.USherbrooke.ca/biblio/

P S.V.P. pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel

Avis de confidentialité : Ce message peut contenir de l'information
confidentielle ou protégée. Il s'adresse uniquement à la personne
destinataire visée. Si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, nous vous prions de
nous
en informer et de le supprimer complètement de votre système.