[Classweb-users] American folk painting number

Milicent K Wewerka mwew at loc.gov
Fri Jul 29 08:52:31 EDT 2005

The number ND205.5 results from a misunderstanding of the instructions about adding ".5" after numbers for centuries.  However, there is no reason why ND205.5 could not be authorized for special aspects or movements not limited by century.  I will submit a classification proposal to include 5.5 in Table N5, thus authorizing the use of the number.  Cutter numbers listed at N6505.5 would then be available for application at ND205.5, including .P74 for Primitivism.

Milicent Wewerka, Cataloging Policy and Support Office, Library of Congress

>>> "Koontz, Sylvia" <koontzs at ncarts.edu> 07/29/05 7:56 AM >>>
The various century divisions under "United States" each have class numbers for both general works and special aspects or movements (e.g. ND207 and ND207.5, in the Colonial period), but plain old United States only has the "general" number, ND205.
I have seen the number ND205.5.P47 used by LC and others for works about American folk painting that cover multiple centuries, however ND205.5 doesn't appear in ClassWeb. Is it no longer valid? Can ND205.5 be added to the schedule?
Thanks,
Sylvia Koontz
N.C. School of the Arts