[Classweb-users] Subject heading query: Talking books vs. Audiobooks?

Benedetti, Susannah benedettis at uncw.edu
Mon Apr 18 16:44:10 EDT 2005

Greetings,

I have a question regarding the difference between the following subject headings:

650#0 Talking books.
and
650#0 Audiobooks.

My question is whether both headings are appropriate for use with commercially produced books on tape/books on CD sold to the general public.

The heading Audiobooks is used for Books on tape, Recorded books, etc., while the scope note for Talking books reads:"Here are entered works on spoken texts recorded specifically for use by the blind or people with visual disabilities."
I am unfamiliar with spoken texts recorded specifically for the blind or people with visual disabilities, but the implication is that they are different than commercially produced books on tape/books on CD. Is this the case, and if so, are the two headings mutually exclusive?
Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Susannah Benedetti
Coordinator of Cataloging Services
W. M. Randall Library