[Classweb-users] Explanation of what "Local A-Z" means in Table T4a

Paul G Weiss pwei at loc.gov
Mon Apr 4 08:53:59 EDT 2005

For captions that read "Local, A-Z," you should Cutter directly for the specific locality that is the topic of the item being cataloged rather than Cuttering through a higher level jurisidiction such as a state, province, etc.
In this case, the first Cutter should be for Canada, and the second Cutter for Calgary, not for Alberta.  If there are multiple entries in your shelflist for Calgary, the second Cutter is extended decimally as necessary to create an alphabetical arrangment by main entry.

You would Cutter for Alberta only if the item being cataloged were about Alberta as a whole rather than about a specific locality in Alberta.

Paul Weiss
Cataloging Policy and Support Office
Library of Congress

>>> Doug Kariel <dougk at athabascau.ca> 04/01/05 7:25 PM >>>
Hi

We have a publication that would be classed under TD883.7  We are told
to subarrange the country by Table T4a.

In Table T4a if the publication deals specifically with a city, is the
2nd cutter under "Local" by the City or by main entry or ??

In this case, the city is Calgary, so we thought TD883.7 .C22(Canada -
Local)  -- and then we aren't sure if it should be A3 for Alberta or a
cutter number for Calgary.

If it is by Alberta, how does on expand the cutter to account for
similar publications referring to other cities in Alberta?  I note in
the LC Catalog that there are some publications that have TD883.7 .C22
A384 etc.  How would the 384 be decided upon if this is indeed correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

Doug Kariel				E-mail: dougk at athabascau.ca
Head, Technical Services and Systems	Phone:  (780) 675-6261
Athabasca University Library		Fax:	(780) 675-6477
1 University Drive
Athabasca, Alberta
Canada  T9S 3A3

__